Sponsors

Book Review

Legend of the Black Roses (Black Rose, #1)Legend of the Black Roses by D. C. Cowan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I bear the same name as the author, but I'm actually not the real author of the Legend of the Black Roses. It was written over thirty years ago, but was never published by the author. The story is very unique in many ways. It's hard to find a book that's similar to it, at least within the books written by and about African Americans. I compare it to the book Kindred, not because the stories are similar, but by what they portray. Kindred tells the world what would happen if a modern African American female was taken from her life and sent into the past. But what if an African princess was ripped from her homeland, forced into slavery, and is somehow lost in time as well. This is the real mystery of the story. How does the spirit of an African princess become a disembodied spirit? Don't worry; I haven't spoiled anything with this review. This answer isn't revealed in the first novel anyway. There are many twists and turns in the first novel and hopefully the series to come that keeps the story interesting.

View all my reviews

Thursday, January 23, 2014

African American Book Review

 Free Kindle Book For A Limited Time : Dark Genesis (The Darkling Trilogy) by A D Koboah

Dark Genesis (The Darkling Trilogy)

Synopsis: Life for a female slave is one of hardship and unspeakable sorrow, something Luna knows only too well. But not even she could have foreseen the terror that would befall her one sultry Mississippi evening in the summer of 1807.  On her way back from a visit to see the African woman, a witch who has the herbs Luna needs to rid her of her abusive master’s child, she attracts the attention of a deadly being that lusts for blood. Forcibly removed from everything she knows by this tormented otherworldly creature, she is sure she will be dead by sunrise. Dark Genesis is a love story set against the savage world of slavery in which a young woman who has been dehumanised by its horrors finds the courage to love, and in doing so, reclaims her humanity.

5 out of 5 Stars WOW, May 9, 2013, By Romance Novels in Color (USA) 
I never have been a big fan of historicals or period pieces and usually I find life before the electronic era less than appealing to my mental palate. (I can't even imagine using a chamber pot, an outhouse, or having to draw baths. No microwaves, indoor plumbing or TV?) But when I finished Dark Genesis the only word I could come up with to describe it was...WOW.  Is this story worth reading? The only answer to that is a resounding yes. I sat in front of my laptop and refused to close the lid of my PC until this story was finished. Honestly, I'm a Nook girl and the fact that I had to use my computer was of no consequence, even when I was forced to chain myself to the wall to charge in the middle of the story. This is the first in a trilogy and I will be reading the other two as soon as I can get my hands on them.

-Reviewed by: Jennifer


3 out of 5 Stars DIFFERENT, March 23, 2013,By Rosa L. Ferguson (Olive Branch, MS) 

A slave and a vampire love story...I hadn't expected that when I first started reading this book. And it actually worked. I enjoyed the story line. However, after all of the action, drama and excitement on the plantation, the relationship between Avery and Luna became a little mundane. It went on for far too long without much to keep my attention. I continued reading because I kept expecting something to happen. By the time the relationship took a physical turn, I had grown quite bored with the two of them. When the action finally picked up again I was ready for the book to be over. The ending seemed a little rushed and a little discombobulated. I was also bothered by the writing of Luna's journal...it was written so eloquently by someone who at first couldn't read or write...once she learned to do both why didn't her speaking change to match the level of her writing? I would read the other two books in this trilogy just to see what happens but I hope when I do they stay action packed.



Source: Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment